Izadi Rioja Reserva, 2007
100% tempranillo, with 14 months in American oak; natural cork closure, 13.5% abv. Delilah Fine Foods, Nottingham, £13.
Red Rioja ageing guide, all numbers are minima:
- Sin crianza or Joven – wine bottled in the year following harvest, which may or may not have spent time in oak.
- Crianza – aged for min 2 years before release, with min 1 year in oak, the remainder in bottle.
- Reserva – aged for min 3 years before release, with min 1 year in oak and the remainder in bottle.
- Gran Reserva – aged for min 5 years before release, with min 2 years in oak and the remainder in bottle.
Minimum ageing in years – my aide mémoire …
- [crianza, reserva, gran reserva] category
- [1,1,2] oak
- [2,3,5] total.
WSET style tasting note
Appearance – medium intensity ruby, showing tears.
Nose – clean on the nose, medium intensity, fully developed, with aromas of red cherry, strawberry, raspberry, vanilla and sweet tobacco.
Palate – a dry wine, medium acidity, smooth well integrated medium tannins, medium alcohol, medium bodied, with medium intensity flavours of vanilla, blackberry, and red cherry, with a medium (+) length.
Quality – a good quality wine, of its type, with balance between acidity and alcohol; a food wine, drink now. Needs to be at room temperature to be at its best.