Here are some non-wine independent providers that I use, who I hold in regard, many local, who contribute to the economy, by paying their taxes, as far as I can tell.
I thought to make access to this listing to be just for local users, so as not to clutter the site, but then again, it might serve as a model for ethical sharing …
- Masdings, Newark – for shirts.
- Peters Shoemakers and Restorers, Nottingham City Centre – a source for Loakes.
- Universal Works, Nottingham – own manufacturer outlet, high quality cottons.
Books & Music
- Castle Sound and Vision, Nottingham City centre – HiFi.
- CeX – online marketplace.
- Five Leaves Bookshop, Long Row, Nottingham.
- Forever Records, Cobden Chambers, Nottingham – vinyl specialist, best new releases, classic albums, indie exclusives and quality second-hand.
- Ideas on Paper, Cobden Chambers, Nottingham – an eclectic range of books and magazines.
- Rough Trade – outlets in East and West London, Nottingham and NYC.
- Waterstones, Nottingham – books, sit down, browse, cafe – so much better an experience than Amazon.
- Cavendish Porsche, Long Eaton – competent independent.
- Tony Furfaro Coachworks, Ilkeston – top quality body shop, seen working on Porsche, De Tomaso, Ferrari, my Ultima GTR [07 703 495 788, 0 115 9 440 639].
Foodstuffs & making
- Bakery Bits – online home bakery equipment and ingredient suppliers.
- Fred Hallam, Beeston – greengrocer and fish monger, fresh fish daily except Monday, fishermen don’t do it on Sundays.
- Harker’s Farmshop, Blackberry Farm, Clipstone-on-the-Wolds.
- Out of This World Organic Supermarket, Beeston.
- Andertons Music Co., Guildford.
- GAK, the Guitar, Amp and Keyboard Centre, Brighton.
- Martin Pryce Leather, Ludlow – handmade replica guitar straps, and other leather wares.
- Nottingham Drum & Guitar.
- Rift Amplification, mid-way between Oxford and Northampton – all valve, hand-built and hand wired amplifiers.
- The Fretboard – online UK guitar forum and marketplace.
- Tuition – Simon Clements, Wollaton/Derby, has his own band, the Nightwires [07 584 561 216].
- WD Music, Ashford, Kent – guitar parts, in particular pickguards and tuners.
- The Foot Room, Wollaton – chiropody, podiatry [0115 9 281 000].
Restaurants & cafès in Nottingham [stars * to *** are awarded according to suitability for vegetarians, based on a combination of choice and quality, where pure vegetarian establishments obviously do a superior job and offer the most choice.]
- *** Cafe Roya, Wollaton Road, Beeston – excellent vegetarian restaurant, wine list is fine, 0115 9 221 902
- * French Living, Nottingham City centre – everything made from scratch on site, wines are organic.
- *** Kiosk Cafe, Cobden Chambers, Nottingham – well-balanced complex flavours, tasty, out of the ordinary, unlicensed.
- *** Lime Indian Restaurant, Nuthall – award-winning BYO wine (Chateau Musar is a perfect match) restaurant, what you can’t manage, just ask and they are happy to pack it up to take away.
- *** The Frustrated Chef, Chilwell – the most authentic tapas in Nottingham.
- * Wired Cafe, Nottingham City centre.
- Otters Fine Foods, Oakham – cafe, deli, smokehouse.
- The Company Shed, West Mersea, near Colchester – BYO seafood restaurant, the freshest seafood ever, be there early for lunch, and take a car fridge to fill up.
- The Derby Runner, Spondon – for sound advice and a proper fit.
- Walkers of Trowell – fishing, shooting, and wellies.
Trades & Services
- Cabinetmaker – Bennetts of Nottingham – also adapts existing kitchen furniture.
- Nottingham Chimney Sweep [07 950 779 043, 0115 9 724 792].
- Supersweep, Nottingham [07 792 261 898, 0115 9 272 799].
- Dry cleaners – National Dry Cleaners, Sherwood, pick-up and delivery [0115 9 606 944].
- Electrician – Andrew Grattage [07 889 247 933].
- Ironing – Full Steam Ahead, Chilwell, pick-up and delivery.
- Joinery – Westerman, Nottingham, for wooden gates, front doors .. built from raw materials.
- Solid wood flooring – Harvey Trout [07 970 684 682, 0115 9 282 180].
- Tree surgeon – Chestnut Tree Services.
- Window cleaner – Stevensons Window Cleaning, Wollaton area [07 948 676 949].
Last updated 14/06/17