Here are some non-wine independent providers that I use, who I hold in regard, many local, who contribute to the economy, by paying their taxes, as far as I can tell. Suggestions made by other Crescent residents are noted with initials.
I thought to make access to this listing to be just for local users, so as not to clutter the site, but then again, it might serve as a model for ethical sharing …
- Masdings, Newark – for shirts.
- Peters Shoemakers and Restorers, Nottingham City Centre – a source for Loakes.
- Smalley’s Gentleman’s Outfitters, 54 Derby Road, NG1 – for a large selection of bow ties and hats, made-to-measure; for all those things department stores do not stock any more.
- Universal Works, Nottingham – own manufacturer outlet, high quality cottons.
Books & Music
- Castle Sound and Vision, Nottingham City centre – HiFi.
- CeX – online marketplace and shops, with an outlet on Beeston High Road.
- Five Leaves Bookshop, Long Row, Nottingham.
- Forever Records, Cobden Chambers, Nottingham – vinyl specialist, best new releases, classic albums, indie exclusives and quality second-hand.
- Ideas on Paper, Cobden Chambers, Nottingham – an eclectic range of books and magazines.
- Rough Trade – outlets in East and West London, Nottingham and NYC.
- Waterstones, Nottingham – books, sit down, browse, cafe – so much better an experience than Amazon.
- Car Concept, Derby – I used them to respray the MG plus scuffs dealt with on other cars – mine and friends’. Good work and very keen prices (ND).
- Cavendish Porsche, Long Eaton – competent independent.
- Tony Furfaro Coachworks, Ilkeston – top quality body shop, seen working on Porsche, De Tomaso, Ferrari, my Ultima GTR [07 703 495 788, 0 115 9 440 639].
- Warthog Promotions, Lowdham – put on a calendar of bands and performers in the village hall, Olde Ship Inn or sometimes St Mary’s Church. Some big some small, ranging from folk to rock and anywhere between. For the village hall you can take your own food and wine to seated events.
Foodstuffs & making
- Bakery Bits – online home bakery equipment and ingredient suppliers.
- Fred Hallam, Beeston – greengrocer and fish monger, fresh fish daily except Monday, fishermen don’t do it on Sundays.
- Harker’s Farmshop, Blackberry Farm, Clipstone-on-the-Wolds.
- Natural Food Company, 37a Mansfield Road, Nottingham City Centre.
- Out of This World Organic Supermarket, Beeston.
- Andertons Music Co., Guildford.
- Dave Mann Music, 123-125 Mansfield Road, Nottingham City Centre.
- Foulds Music, Irongate, Derby – luthier on site once a week.
- GAK, the Guitar, Amp and Keyboard Centre, Brighton.
- Guitarbitz, Bath.
- Guitarguitar, online and 7 shops nationwide, a source for Aclam track (rather than velcro) pedal boards +
- Hot Rox UK, NG2 – for George L connectors and Lava cables.
- Martin Pryce Leather, Ludlow – handmade replica guitar straps, and other leather wares.
- Nottingham Drum & Guitar.
- Pete Cornish – artisan pedal builder and cable maker to the stars, quality second to none, prices slightly eye-watering. View his site demos.
- Rift Amplification, mid-way between Oxford and Northampton – all valve, hand-built and hand wired amplifiers.
- Strings Direct – for strings, cables, capos +
- The Fretboard – online UK guitar forum and marketplace.
- Tuition – Simon Clements, Wollaton/Derby, has his own band, the Nightwires [07 584 561 216].
- WD Music, Ashford, Kent – guitar parts, in particular pickguards and locking tuners.
- The Foot Room, Wollaton – chiropody, podiatry [0115 9 281 000].
Restaurants & cafès in Nottingham [stars * to *** are awarded according to suitability for vegetarians, based on a combination of choice and quality, where dedicated vegetarian establishments obviously do a superior job and offer the most choice.]
- Cafe Roya, Wollaton Road, Beeston – excellent vegetarian restaurant, wine list is fine, 0115 9 221 902. ***
- French Living, Nottingham City centre – everything made from scratch on site, wines are organic. *
- Greenwood Coffee House, Beeston – good coffee and genuinely home-made food (ND).
- Kiosk Cafe, Cobden Chambers, Nottingham – well-balanced complex flavours, tasty, out of the ordinary, unlicensed. ***
- Lime Indian Restaurant, Nuthall – award-winning BYO (Chateau Musar is a perfect match) restaurant, what you can’t manage, just ask and they are happy to pack it up to take away. ***
- The Frustrated Chef, Chilwell – the most authentic tapas in Nottingham.***
- The Malt Cross, St.James’s Street, Nottingham – enjoy food, beer and atmosphere at another independent (ND), I concur, the freshest vegetables. *
- Wired Cafe, Nottingham City centre. *
Restaurants & cafès elsewhere
- Buckland Manor, near Broadway, Worcs – excellent ambience, menus, presentation and wine list.
- Otters Fine Foods, Oakham – cafe, deli, smokehouse.
- The Company Shed, West Mersea, near Colchester – BYO seafood restaurant, the freshest seafood ever, be there early for lunch, and take a car fridge to fill up.
- The Cottage in the Wood, Malvern Wells – under new ownership. I think, that the menu and quality has improved, sadly however, the previously bible-proportioned wine list is slimmer, but it does remain adequate.
- The Derby Runner, Spondon – for sound advice and a proper fit.
- Walkers of Trowell – fishing, shooting, and wellies.
Trades & Services
- Burglar Alarm – Nationwide Alarmcall [0115 9 813 533].
- Cabinetmaker – Bennetts of Nottingham – also adapts existing kitchen furniture.
- Nottingham Chimney Sweep [07 950 779 043, 0115 9 724 792].
- Supersweep, Nottingham [07 792 261 898, 0115 9 272 799].
- Dry cleaners – National Dry Cleaners, Sherwood, pick-up and delivery [0115 9 606 944].
- Electrician – Andrew Grattage [07 889 247 933].
- Firewood – Spring Farm, Trowell [0115 9 282 076].
- Ironing – Full Steam Ahead, Chilwell, pick-up and delivery.
- Joinery – Westerman, Nottingham, for wooden gates, front doors .. built from raw materials.
- Painter – Andy’s Painting Service [07 594 632 693].
- Pro-trade Property Services, Nottinghamshire – Alan at Pro-Trade seems to know what he is doing (ND).
- Solid wood flooring – Harvey Trout [07 970 684 682, 0115 9 282 180].
- Tree surgeon – Chestnut Tree Services.
- Window cleaner – Stevensons Window Cleaning, Wollaton area [07 948 676 949].
Web services – music and video streaming, and other (alternatives to Google owned Youtube, ebay …)
- Dailymotion, video sharing, French site, free of charge.
- Gumtree, online marketplace with free advertising for a month.
- Metacafe, video sharing, free of charge, if your upload proves popular you may get paid for views.
- Vimeo.com, video sharing, the basic account is free of charge.
Last updated 12/10/17